From time to time, Ohioans get caught up in bureaucratic red tape when dealing with the many agencies of the federal government.

Whether it's a glitch in getting a Social Security check, a denial of rightfully deserved veteran's benefits or a problem with the IRS, people need to know that they can count on their elected officials to help them sort out such matters.

Provisions of the Privacy Act of 1974 require me to have your written permission before making an inquiry on your behalf, so after filling out the contact form below, please fill out the Privacy Authorization Form below and mail both forms to my Columbus Office.  Include any supporting documents or correspondence that may further explain the situation, but do not send originals.

Visit my "Help with Federal Agencies" page for a list of some of the issues my constituent services team may be able to help you with. If you are unsure if your case is something my office can assist you with, please visit my "Federal Casework FAQ" page. 

Note: Fields marked with an * are required.

Note: If this is an emergency, please contact my Casework Office at 1-800-205-6446.

If you are requesting assistance on behalf of a family member, please provide that person's name. Please be aware that Senator Portman can only act with that person's permission.

If you have contacted another congressional office regarding this issue, please list the office.

Privacy Authorization Form